Class Teaching Assistant
Tips for reading at home:
- Read for 10 minutes each night with your child.
- Discuss the illustrations on the cover/ pages. What do they think is happening?
- Predict what may happen in the story/ on the next page.
- Talk about who the characters in the story are, and where it is set.
- Ask your child how they think a character is feeling at various points in the story.
- Recap what happened in the book; can your child sequence the events?
- Discuss whether your child enjoyed the story or not, and why.
- Be guided by your child’s interests- read quality texts from home/ the library as well as school books.
- Become an explorer- read fact, fiction, rhymes, poems, picture books.
- Most important, read to your child; it really does make the world of difference.