Geography is a foundation subject of the national curriculum which seeks to develop awareness and understanding of the world around us.
Geography at Benwick School aims to:
- Develop the knowledge, skills and understanding laid down in the Geography curriculum, to the maximum of their potential.
- Make sense of their own surroundings through learning about their own locality and the interaction between people and the environment.
- Extend their interest, knowledge and understanding of the human and physical processes which shape places.
- Appreciate similarity and difference in the world around them and to respect other peoples beliefs, attitudes and values.
- Develop the geographical skills and vocabulary necessary to carry out effective geographical enquiry.
- Formulate appropriate questions, develop research skills and evaluate material to inform opinions.
- Develop interest and enjoyment of geographical experiences and build confidence and understanding.
- Recognise and understanding issues concerning the environment and sustainable development.
Learning Across the Curriculum
Geographical skills as detailed in the National Curriculum are incorporated into the creative curriculum topic planning.