The learning of foreign languages offers a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for all pupils. It will provide enjoyment, satisfaction and intellectual stimulation at appropriate levels.
Pupils will develop listening, communication and literacy skills that lay the foundation for future language learning. They will develop linguistic competence, extend their knowledge of how language works and explore differences and similarities between a foreign language and English.
Learning another language raises awareness of the multilingual and multicultural world and introduces an international dimension to pupil’s learning giving them an insight into their own culture and those of others. Pupils will develop positive attitudes to speakers of foreign languages and an unprejudiced approach to other cultures and civilisations. Study of different cultures will foster a range of attitudes and help promote goodwill and to counter prejudice and insularity.
Our curriculum aims to ensure that all children:
Understand and respond to spoken and written language
Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity
Can write at varying length for different purposes and audiences
Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
French is taught once a week in Key Stage 2 by the class teacher using Rising Stars EuroStars French as a base scheme, it is organised into a two year scheme.
- Two year programme of French taught in KS2
- Groups are usually of mixed ability
- Relevant discussion is encouraged
- Groups are encouraged to communicate their findings in a variety of ways
- Focus is on speaking and listening including drama, role play, games, singing, art etc
- We use the Rising Stars scheme to plan our French provision
Feedback to pupils about their own progress in MFL is achieved through effective teacher assessment.
Aims to help children learn through positive and constructive feedback
- Is often done while a task is being carried out through discussion between child and teacher
- Of written work is used sensitively and with discretion in accordance with the schools marking policy
- Teacher assessments will form the basis of the assessments in MFL to inform the planning for future learning opportunities